25 February 2010

Kitchen Projects #9 and #10: A study in contradiction

A week ago I made a halfway serious vow to limit my intake of animal products this lenten season. Halfway serious has morphed into fully dedicated within these past eight days. I did however, realize something by the close of day one: I simply cannot exist without sugar. I am a person who eats dessert, this is a fact. I'm also a person who like compromise. I've embarked on a new kitchen project all together--vegan baking. This pumpkin bread was one of my first attempts.

Tip #1: pumpkin always rocks. Use! It!



Tip #2: Spices are the new black



Tip #3: Share

Now, that delicious loaf is all well and good, but lucky you, I have a D.C. trip coming up this weekend and that's more than enough reason for cupcakes. So this afternoon I used my snow day to do this: 



Allow me to introduce some friends: 
1.) The Cinnamon Toast Crunchie: cinnamon swirl cake, cinnamon cream cheese icing, and cereal
2.) The Classic Candyland: french vanilla cake, milk chocolate buttercream and M&Ms
3.) The Heave on Earth: brownie bite, swiss meringue buttercream, and a caramel swirl 
Arrange on a plate filled with gummy worms and sour patch kids and kapow (!) you have yourself a smile-inducing gift.

Happy Snow Day to one and all!

-------------------------------------------
Pumpkin Bread (via The Complete Vegan Kitchen by Jannequin Bennett)

Ingredients:
-2 T. flaxseeds
-1 1/2 c. sugar
-1 c. pumpkin
-1/2 c. applesauce
-1 1/3 c. all purpose flour
-1/3 c. whole wheat flour
-1 t. baking soda
-1/2 t. baking powder
-3/4 t. salt
-1 t. ground cinnamon
-1/2 t. ground nutmeg
-1/4 t. ground cloves

Directions:
1.) Preheat the oven to 350, grease and flour a 9 in. loaf pan
2.) In a blender or a food processor, mix the flaxseed and 6 T of water until light and frothy.
3.) In a large mixing bowl mix: flaxseed, sugar, pumpkin, applesauce
4.) Sift flours, soda, powder, salt, and spices. Add to the pumpkin mixture and combine
5.) Pour into the loaf pan and bake for 1 hour- 1 hour and fifteen minutes
6.) Remove and cool on a wire rack
7.) Dive in 


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Web Analytics